We have chosen all our boys name so they will have at least some meaning. We both wanted each of our kids to have a tie to the scriptures. Here is the story of their names.
Derek Joshua: Derek was a name I liked as a teenage. I remember telling my mother I liked the name, and she said she had wanted to use the name, but never got to. I decided right then, I would have a Derek. I also learned to like the name Joshua as a teenager as I read the books "The Work and the Glory." Joshua started out as a bad character, but by the end of the book I loved the changes he made. So, Derek Joshua was a name I loved. When I married Jordan we agreed the names needed to have some basis in Scripture. Easily done, as Joshua was a great Prophet who lead the Israelites. So, Derek Joshua became my oldest son.
Nathan Moroni: For any one who has read "The Work and the Glory" series you also know Joshua's brother was Nathan. Thus I fell in love with that name. So, I picked out two of the names before meeting Jordan. Moroni is from the Book of Mormon, and was a righteous General in the Nephite armies. Captain Moroni, as he is called in the scriptures, is also one of our favorite Book of Mormon Characters. So, Nathan Moroni came to be our second son.
If anyone knows these two scriptural based people you will also note that they are mighty warriors who fought and lead there people in many wars. I'm not sure if that will ever play into my boys lives or not, but Jordan and I found it interesting that we felt the boy's names should be tied with these two men.
Daniel Brockbank: Daniel is an easy one from the scriptures. The great Daniel in the Lions Den. A great example, prophet and missionary. Jordan's middle name is Brockbank, which comes from his father's side of the family.
Now to reveal what will probably be the next little ones name. Jordan usually makes me wait to announce it till he sees the baby, but this time he is jumping to announce it because he finally gets his wish. With all 3 boys he has wanted Levi. I have said NO!!! I didn't like the name and didn't feel it fit. Once again he brought the name up, I said no, his family was there and said they loved the name, I still said no.
Then we went to see a movie called "17 Micicles." An Amazing movie about the LDS Pioneer Handcarts. The movie begins and one of the main characters is introduced as Brother Savage. Guess what, I all of a sudden remember reading about a Brother Savage, I think possibly even in "The Work and Glory Series." I lean over and ask Jordan if he knows Brother Savage's first name. He says no, I tell him it is LEVI.
Levi Samuel: As the movie goes on I realized Levi was supposed to be the name of this little boy. So next came the middle name. Samuel was the name we had been talking about the most, so it got bumped to the middle name. I all of sudden like the name Levi. Samuel is great from both the Bible and Book of Mormon. Like the big boys both being strong military names, the two youngest boys have great Missionary names.
Names can be very important, and I love the names of our boys. I can't wait to welcome little Levi Samuel into our family.
1 comment:
I love the back stories of your boys names. Levi Samuel-it just sounds perfect. So excited for one more boy!!
Post a Comment